Food Bills

Everybody has to eat, and more often than not, we like to eat out. Most of us aren't foodies or culinary experts, We just like good food at a decent price.

This blog is all about eating out in Chicago, generally not at the trendy places, the hoi polloi fancy spots or the big chains.

I'm definitely not a foodie, just a hard working guy that likes good food and I'm going to share my dining experiences with you. Hopefully it will give you the food layperson's view on Chicago spots. To keep your food bills in check.

I will also Include some “food news” about places located in my “hood” up on the Far North Side of Chicago and Evanston.

I do travel a lot as well, so I will also include a little page with some food notes from my travels!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Miss Ricky's

Comfort Food in Style 

Miss Ricky's is the new eatery in the Virgin Hotel Chicago.  It is great because it is simple and has the basics in comfort food.  The menu is simple with all the staples in diner food and 24 hour breakfasts.  On the fun side, the screens were showing old Godzilla flicks which brought a few smiles.


I started off with the Shrimp and Crab dip.  It was really good.  The dip was full of big chunks of crab and shrimp.  Strong cheese and just enough salt.  They brought out more crusty bread if needed as well, so that made it perfect!

Next step was the Tres Leches French Toast with roasted pineapple and maple syrup.  I liked this because it came out with just the right amount of sweetness for my tastes.  I am diabetic, so I shy away from these things but I could not resist.  It hit the spot and the mix of pineapple and maple syrup was perfect.


The service was prompt, friendly and very attentive.  It was a team effort of three people and I totally enjoyed the experience

The only disappointment were the bloody marys.  Touted as outstanding, I found them to be rather bland.  There was plenty of vodka, but no kick.  It was essentially vodka, tomato juice, a celery stalk and a salted rim.  Nothing to write home about.

For $12, I expected to be wow'd, but it didn't happen.

The riesling was good (for $9) and the coffee was great.

I recommend this place for a date, it was quiet and you could have a conversation.  An app, an entree, three drinks and coffee was $63 with tax.  For the Loop, I have to say, it was a pretty good deal.

Im going to give it three stars, mainly because the drinks disappointed and nothing really WOW'd me.  However, this place would rock a brunch.  I plan to try that some time and I may change my rating.  But if I am going to go to the Virgin after work, I prefer the Commons.  Better food, great drinks and the same excellent service.


Miss Ricky's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment