Food Bills

Everybody has to eat, and more often than not, we like to eat out. Most of us aren't foodies or culinary experts, We just like good food at a decent price.

This blog is all about eating out in Chicago, generally not at the trendy places, the hoi polloi fancy spots or the big chains.

I'm definitely not a foodie, just a hard working guy that likes good food and I'm going to share my dining experiences with you. Hopefully it will give you the food layperson's view on Chicago spots. To keep your food bills in check.

I will also Include some “food news” about places located in my “hood” up on the Far North Side of Chicago and Evanston.

I do travel a lot as well, so I will also include a little page with some food notes from my travels!

Friday, March 6, 2015

The Commons Club - Virgin Hotel Chicago

This is the Way to do it Right


Last week, I had the opportunity to try The Commons Club at the Virgin Hotel in Chicago.  Hit it up with a few friends and I totally enjoyed it!  

First, the setting is very cool, makes you feel like you are hanging out in a plush living room with an open kitchen at one end.  Comfy couch seats and elegant settings.  I was impressed.  

Everything there was well priced and a great value - you cant go wrong!  Fun drink menu and all the usuals as well, which will not break the bank.  2 drinks and apps set me back.... $35 (my part of the split).  

For food we had the wild mushroom flat bread....which was truly amazing.  Perfect mix of flavors and I accompanied it with the marinated olives, which I fell in love with. A bit of oil, ginger and garlic flavours.   

Next up, the chips and dip.  This was great!  Long cut plantain chips with a side of jalapeno and cilantro chutney .... OMG, I wanted to lick the bowl!  

Last up was the Vegetarian Asian Paella.  This was good, but the pickled mushrooms kind of overpowered the rest of the dish which has rice, quinoa and a marinated tofu.  It was quite good, you kind of got used to the mushrooms after a bit.  

Overall, I had a great time and totally loved the experience.  I would recommend this for a first date, happy hour with friends or just a place to hang out.  

Thumbs up on this one!  Sir Richard, my hat is off to you.  Cheers!   

UPDATE

Last night I  their Mussels, they were awesome!  However, you need to ask for more bread to get all that sauce up!

Below was a trio of Shrimp Rolls, Tuna Tartar and Red Snapper.

Of all those, the Tuna was my favorite,  Spicy and sweet, with a nice kick to it.  It really was good, but I could have eaten two orders!


Commons Club on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment