Food Bills

Everybody has to eat, and more often than not, we like to eat out. Most of us aren't foodies or culinary experts, We just like good food at a decent price.

This blog is all about eating out in Chicago, generally not at the trendy places, the hoi polloi fancy spots or the big chains.

I'm definitely not a foodie, just a hard working guy that likes good food and I'm going to share my dining experiences with you. Hopefully it will give you the food layperson's view on Chicago spots. To keep your food bills in check.

I will also Include some “food news” about places located in my “hood” up on the Far North Side of Chicago and Evanston.

I do travel a lot as well, so I will also include a little page with some food notes from my travels!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Americana Submarine

Hot Dogs


My usual Hot Dog lunch joint in the Loop closed down, heart wrenching, I know after two years of devotion.  The Works on Franklin is no more ... [Moment of silence].

So my quest to find a new Dog joint is on!  Yes, I can default to Luke's, but it takes 20 minutes to get a dog in there at lunch time because it is so packed.  So, I decided to venture outside of my comfort zone and seek out a new spot.

I ran across Americana Submarine on Clark and van Buren, which at first looked like a bodega with subs and dogs.  Now, in my travels, I have learned that sometimes these places are surprising, so I gave it a try.

Well, the first thing I notices was the $6.99 price for 2 dogs, a tiny bag of chips and a small fountain drink.  Hmmm.....well, I'm in for the haul.  To say the least, I was disappointed. 

The Dog, a Red Hot Chicago sausage was good and cooked right.  The tomato and onion were fresh cut and everything else were good.  BUT!!!

The kicker was that the (non-poppy seed) buns were so stale the ends were hard.  Totally un-steamed, despite pulling them out of a steamer, which I determined was for show.

I really wanted to like these dogs, the fresh cut veggies and ample peppers, even had the celery salt.  I really did, I tried.  But in the end, the crappy buns killed it for me.  I can't say I recommend this place for a hot dog, but you never know, maybe the Subs are better.  They seemed to have some regulars ordering those!  But, Im not much of a sub sammich kind of guy. 



American Submarine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment