Food Bills

Everybody has to eat, and more often than not, we like to eat out. Most of us aren't foodies or culinary experts, We just like good food at a decent price.

This blog is all about eating out in Chicago, generally not at the trendy places, the hoi polloi fancy spots or the big chains.

I'm definitely not a foodie, just a hard working guy that likes good food and I'm going to share my dining experiences with you. Hopefully it will give you the food layperson's view on Chicago spots. To keep your food bills in check.

I will also Include some “food news” about places located in my “hood” up on the Far North Side of Chicago and Evanston.

I do travel a lot as well, so I will also include a little page with some food notes from my travels!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cafe El Tapatio

I grew up in Southern Arizona, so I know a little something about Mexican food.  I know I love it and where to find good places. I can be pretty picky about my Mexican food, so I know the places I go are pretty authentic. 

Salsa is the tell...and El Tapatio starts you off with some really good salsa and chips.  It has a good kick to it and really primes your lips to cool off with one of their killer micheladas!  

They make theirs without the Clamato, but they are tasty if you are into that style.  I find it very refreshing on a hot summer day.  If you aren't into micheladas,  I suggest a margarita....those are super good as well.  Regular size is pretty big and they don't skimp on the tequila.  

The food at El Tapatio is top notch as well.  This afternoon, was the Shrimp Fajitas, lots of big shrimp, beans, rice, etc.  You can never go wrong here, lunch for 2 with drinks and tip ... about $55.00.  About a year ago they changed their plating, tried to go a little more up scale and I have to say, it didn't sit well with me and still doesn't, but overall the experience is still a favorite of mine.  

So, not a bad place if you are looking for a decent date location.  Nice outside seating, Indoors is a bit loud and cramped, Service is always attentive and good.  Wait times at peak can be long, but it is worth it!  I recommend it.  - Cafe El Tapatio  3400 N. Ashland.  

Plenty of street parking, close to Paulina Brown line.  Try It.  

El Tapatio Cafe on Foodio54

No comments:

Post a Comment