Food Bills

Everybody has to eat, and more often than not, we like to eat out. Most of us aren't foodies or culinary experts, We just like good food at a decent price.

This blog is all about eating out in Chicago, generally not at the trendy places, the hoi polloi fancy spots or the big chains.

I'm definitely not a foodie, just a hard working guy that likes good food and I'm going to share my dining experiences with you. Hopefully it will give you the food layperson's view on Chicago spots. To keep your food bills in check.

I will also Include some “food news” about places located in my “hood” up on the Far North Side of Chicago and Evanston.

I do travel a lot as well, so I will also include a little page with some food notes from my travels!

Monday, September 30, 2013

El Barco Mariscos

I went out this weekend with a good friend of mine to this hidden gem.  We had a late dinner, so we were able to get right in!  I was so happy because normally there is a bit of a wait.  It was a beautiful night and drinks were a definitely a must.  My friend got the ENORMOUS margarita and it was great!  You can definitely tell that there is tequila in their drinks!  No skimping there and for $7.95, it is well worth it!

I of course went for my usual, a Michelada con clamato.  So, my only disappointment of the evening is with the Michelada.  You basically get a mug with a little bit of clamato and a beer on the side.  No ice, nada!  You do have limes on the table, salt and chile, so I made my own, but without ice it is just not was refreshing!

Like I mentioned in another article, the salsa is the tell at a good Mexican place and El Barco does not disappoint, but be prepared!

They dont put out a typical salsa, you get two really tasty blends of chile and oil.  The first is made with jalapeno and olive oil, which is HOT and super tasty!  The second is warm and delicious, made with pasilla chile, garlic and olive oil.  WOW!  I love both of them.  You also don't get chips, but a dish of freshly made tostada shells.  A great combination!

To share, we went with the shrimp ceviche, which is quality for sure!  It was so good that I forgot to take a pic of the full "chingon" of ceviche!  What I like about it is that it isn't drowned in juice and you get a a lot of shrimp chunks.  Topped with avocado, it is a not to miss starter!  Other options are fish, octopus or a combo of all three!


 For dinner we shared some grilled octopus and some grilled bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed jumbo shrimp.  I cant begin to tell you how awesome the shrimp was!  The grilled octopus was perfectly grilled and not drowning in sauce or spice, so you really taste the meat.  Love it!  Mixed with the shrimp are grilled (perfectly) veggies, guacamole and rice.


Basically, you needed a wheelbarrow to wheel us out of there, we were so full and the FOOD BILL, less than $80 tax and tip included!!  Service was attentive and the overall experience keeps me coming back every chance I get!


El Barco on Urbanspoon

El Barco on Foodio54

No comments:

Post a Comment